Deep fried flaky pastry with a filling of mixed vegetables.
Samosa is also called Punjabi Samosa. It is a traditional North Indian snack that is originated from Punjab. It is an easy to prepare snack that is good to eat and enjoy. Samosa is made with crispy crust and delectable filling inside that is equally yummy to eat. Wanted to know how to prepare the snack? Take a look here:
Ingredients: for making the dough
- Plain flour: 2 cups
- Carom seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Sugar: ½ teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Ghee: 4-6 teaspoons, melted
- 5-6 tablespoons of water or as much as required
Ingredients for preparing the stuffing inside the crust
- Clarified butter: 3 teaspoons ghee
- Cumin seeds: 1 Teaspoon
- Boiled potato: 2 pieces, pealed
- Red chili powder: ½ teaspoon
- Ginger: 1 inch, chopped
- Dried mango powder: ½ teaspoon
- Garam Masala: ½ tea spoon
- Salt to taste
- Coriander seeds: 1 tea spoon roasted and crushed
- Adequate oil for deep frying
Instructions for making the dough
- Take a large mixing bowl and mix together plain flour, Carom seeds, salt, sugar, and melted ghee.
- Add water to knead into stiff dough.
- Cover the dough and rest for next 15 minutes.
For the stuffing:
- Heat the ghee and add the cumin seeds.
- Now you need to add finely chopped ginger and sauté the same for next few seconds.
- Now smash the potatoes with your hand and add the crushed potatoes to tempering.
- It’s time now to add all the spices like chili powder, dried mango powder, garam masala, and salt.
- Now you have to add roasted crushed coriander seeds and mix the ingredients well.
- To finish, add peas and cook or next 2 – 3 minutes against slow heat.
Shaping, stuffing the samosa:
- Please knead the dough evenly
- Now roll out a part of the dough in oval shape.
- Now cut it flat, dividing into 2 equal portions, you should use a kitchen knife.
- Now sprinkle some water if needed and make cone.
- Now fill a tablespoon full of prepared fillings in the cone.
- You have to minutely pull back and fold the cone.
- You have to seal it tightly but gently so that the filling stays within the crust.
- heat the oil in a pan and deep-fry the samosas on a moderate flame
- Finally serve hot with sauce or chutney.